Developed based on various franchises, LEGO Dimensions come with an array of features including levels from 30 different franchises as well as levels that merge them together and 78 characters each with its own unique abilities.
The game is essentially a unique experience within the LEGO universe. It allows players to play with Minifigures from different worlds, use each other’s gadgets, and team up with other characters.
However, the game comes with various expansion packs split into four categories which are needed to unlock all the necessary abilities and to have access to each of the 30 worlds in order to complete the game.
So what are these expansion packs?
This article goes over the LEGO Dimensions expansion packs and answers important questions about these packs to help you have a better understanding of what they are, how they work, and whether you need them or not.
Let’s dive in.
What Are LEGO Dimensions Expansion Packs?
Expansion packs are add-ons that extend the features and offer more play possibilities in the LEGO Dimensions game. They can be used with any console and you don’t need any specific pack to get another one working with the exception of The LEGO Batman Movie Story Pack which requires the Batman from your Starter Pack to play.
LEGO Dimensions Packs
LEGO Dimensions include a Starter Pack and a wide range of expansion packs split into 4 different categories: Story Packs, Level Packs, Team Packs, and Fun Packs.
The Starter Pack is the first pack you’ll need and is different for every console. It includes the game disc, Toy Pad, and all the parts, Minifigures, and Toy Tags required to build the Gateway and start playing.
The Starter Pack also includes the game’s 14-level main story campaign, which revolves around Batman, Gandalf, and Wyldstyle, while additional levels are made available by purchasing Level Packs and Story Packs.
The Starter Packs include:
- LEGO Dimensions Video Game Software
- LEGO Toy Pad
- LEGO Gateway building bricks
- Batman Minifigure
- Gandalf Minifigure
- Wyldstyle Minifigure
- LEGO Batmobile vehicle
In addition to the Starter Pack, LEGO Dimension also includes a wide range of expansion packs. Unlike the Starter Pack, the expansion packs can be used with any console.
LEGO Dimensions Story Packs
The Story Packs are the biggest add-ons for the ultimate Gamer and Master Builder and add six new levels to the game based on the represented franchise; these levels retell the story of their respective film with characters from other franchises making occasional appearances.
Story Packs are revealed in Year 2 and each pack unlocks a new keystone for the portal, providing additional abilities.
Story packs include:
- One or two characters
- A vehicle or gadget
- A new gateway design for the Toy Pad
There are story packs from various franchises including:
- Ghostbusters Story Pack
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Story Pack
- The LEGO Movie Story Pack
LEGO Dimensions Story Packs include:
- 71242 Story Pack: A LEGO Dimensions Ghostbusters (2016) set and includes 6 story levels, the Minifigure of Abby Yates, the Ecto-1, and pieces to build Zhu’s Chinese Restaurant portal fixture.
- 71253 Story Pack: A LEGO Dimension set and includes 6 story levels, the Minifigure of Newt Scamander, the Niffler, as well as pieces to build the MACUSA Toy Pad build.
- 71264 Story Pack: A LEGO Batman Movie LEGO Dimensions set includes the Minifigure Robin, Batgirl, Batwing’s vehicles/gadgets, and 6 story levels.
LEGO Dimensions Level Packs
Level packs are the second largest LEGO Dimensions expansion packs. It gives players an exclusive playable game level based on the represented character’s franchise and includes one character, one gadget, one vehicle, and one Battle Arena.
There are currently 10 known level packs which include:
- Back to the Future Level Pack
- Portal 2 Level Pack
- The Simpsons Level Pack
- Doctor Who Level Pack
- Ghostbusters Level Pack
- Midway Arcade Level Pack
- Adventure Time Level Pack
- Mission: Impossible Level Pack
- Sonic the Hedgehog Level Pack
- The Goonies Level Pack
LEGO Dimensions Team Packs
LEGO Dimensions Team Packs are similar to Fun packs but contain only two and a combination of two vehicles or gadgets for each character.
There are currently 9 available team packs which include:
- Jurassic World Team Pack
- Scooby-Doo Team Pack
- LEGO Ninjago Team Pack
- DC Comics Team Pack
- Adventure Time Team Pack
- Harry Potter Team Pack
- Gremlins Team Pack
- The Powerpuff Girls Team Pack
- Teen Titans Go! Team Pack
LEGO Dimensions Fun Packs
Fun packs are the biggest lego Dimensions expansion pack and each pack contains a character from a certain franchise and a vehicle or gadget to play with.
There are 38 fun packs around 21 different franchises with The LEGO Movie, LEGO Ninjago, LEGO Legends of Chima, and DC Comics containing the highest number of packs (4 to 5 fun packs each).
Where Can I Buy LEGO Dimensions Packs?
How Many LEGO Dimensions Sets Are There?
There are 63 LEGO Dimensions sets from 30 different franchises.
There are 5 LEGO Dimensions packs including the Starter Pack and 4 expansion packs: Fun packs, Story packs, Team Packs, and Level packs. The starter pack is different for every console while expansion packs can be used with any console.
- The starter is the first pack you’ll need and includes the game disc, Toy Pad, and all the parts, Minifigures, and Toy Tags required to build the Gateway and start playing
- The Story Packs are the biggest packs and add six new levels to the game based on the represented franchise.
- Level packs are the second largest LEGO Dimensions expansion packs and give players an exclusive playable game level based on the represented character’s franchise.
- Fun packs are the biggest lego Dimensions expansion pack and each pack contains a character from a certain franchise and a vehicle or gadget to play with.