Last Updated on August 21, 2022 by Lisa D. Marsh
LEGO City Undercover is probably the most popular game in the City theme, selling more than 100,000 units in the United States in its debut month.
The game debuted at number 12 on the all-formats chart, number 8 on the individual-format chart, and number 1 on the Wii U chart in the UK.
It sold more than 18,000 copies in Japan during its first week, entering all the charts at number 9 and the Wii U version had sold 1.9 million units worldwide.
The game saw positive reviews for its humor, story, evolved gameplay formula, and criticism for the lack of co-op (multiplayer) options and long loading times.
This article goes over the LEGO City Undercover game and answers important questions about the game to help you have a better understanding.
Let’s dive in.
What Is LEGO City Undercover?
LEGO City Undercover is an action-adventure video game developed by TT Fusion based on the City theme. The game follows McCain as he returns to LEGO City and pursues escaped crime boss Rex Fury.
The game was originally released for Wii by Nintendo in 2013 and later re-released for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows via Steam by Warner bros. The original version of the game was single-player while the re-release version added a local two-player multiplayer feature.
Taking place in the vast LEGO City, the game allows players to control an undercover cop called Chase McCain as he goes on the hunt for criminals, with various moves at his disposal such as swinging across poles and performing wall jumps.
Chase can pilot vehicles such as cars and helicopters, use loose bricks to build various objects, and can also gain additional abilities such as a robber disguise that lets him break locks.
Players can create custom characters that are playable and can also unlock additional playable characters that online talk with Chase’s voice except in cutscenes where Chase can still be seen.
Features of LEGO City Undercover
- More than 20 distinct districts to investigate
- Eight disguises to choose from, each with unique abilities and skills to infiltrate every corner of the city and access places a regular old officer can’t
- Over 100 vehicles including sports cars, helicopters, motorcycles, and more chase down criminals or take a leisurely ride through the city
- Hand-to-hand combat, handy grapple gun, and standard issue police handcuffs.
- Signature humor with hilarious movie and music references peppered throughout the open-world
How Many LEGO City Undercover Games Are There?
There are two LEGO city Undercover games. The original was released in 2013 for Wii by Nintendo and only allows a single player. The second game was released for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows via Steam by Warner bros on April 4, 2017, and added local two-player multiplayer features.
How Many Chapters Are in LEGO City Undercover?
LEGO City Undercover includes 15 chapters (missions), each with special assignment levels:
- Chapter 1 – New Faces and Old Enemies
- Chapter 2 – Blast from the Past
- Special Assignment – Some Assaults
- Chapter 3 – Go Directly to Jail
- Special Assignment – Trouble in Stir
- Special Assignment – Miner Altercation
- Chapter 4 – When the Going Gets Tough
- Special Assignment – Kung Fool
- Chapter 5 – Undercover
- Chapter 6 – All in the Family
- Special Assignment – Dirty Work
- Chapter 7 – One Small Job for Chan
- Special Assignment – Astronaughty
- Chapter 8 – The Rescue
- Special Assignment – Scrapyard Scrap
- Chapter 9 – Bringing Home the Bacon
- Chapter 10 – Back on the Case
- Special Assignment – The Colossal Fossil Hustle
- Special Assignment – Hot Property
- Chapter 11 – The Proof of the Pudding is in the Meeting
- Special Assignment – Smash ‘n’ Grab
- Special Assignment – They All Scream for Ice Cream
- Chapter 12 – The Con in Construction
- Special Assignment – High Steal
- Chapter 13 – Secrets
- Special Assignment – Disruptive Behavior
- Special Assignment – Breaking and Reentering
- Chapter 14 – Savings and Loans
- Chapter 15 – Far Above the Call of Duty
- Special Assignment – Fly Me to the Moon
How Much Does LEGO City Undercover Cost?
LEGO City Undercover costs $17.99 for Xbox One and $19.99 for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Microsoft Windows.
Is LEGO City Undercover like GTA?
Yes, LEGO City Undercover’s gameplay borrows heavily from the Grand Theft Auto series.
However, the role is reversed in the game with the player taking on the role of a police officer enforcing the law, rather than a criminal committing a crime, although the player is required to commit criminal acts on some occasions, like dealing with shady businesses and committing a robbery at the museum, in order to infiltrate criminal gangs.
Is LEGO City Undercover Fun for Adults?
Yes, adults will enjoy the game. There is much stuff to collect in the game and it has a lot of detail, humor, and elements that will satisfy avid gamers alike. Although it can be frustrating at times, it adds a sense of accomplishment once you have everything figured out.
The game is fun for adults and includes a fun storyline that doesn’t hinge on an existing world or character and has unique game mechanics that utilizes the gamepad as both a minimap and data scanner.
The City Undercover game offers more freedom with its sandbox-style gameplay and includes tons of extra side quests and collectibles to increase the time of play, and the movie references are a real plus for adults and will help beef up the enjoyment of some of the missions for you.
However, the game has horrible load times which can be frustrating, some of the collectibles are almost impossible to locate without a guide, and the combat mechanics are super simplistic.
Can You Play LEGO City Undercover Online?
No, you can not play LEGO City Undercover online.
Does LEGO City Undercover Have Multiplayer?
Yes, the re-release version for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows has a local two-player multiplayer feature through split-screen only. However, there is still no co-op on the Wii U version.
Does LEGO City Undercover Have Online Multiplayer?
No, the LEGO City Undercover doesn’t support online multiplayer. However, you will be able to play online multiplayer if you play it on Steam through remote play or using apps like Persec.
Can You Fly a Plane in LEGO City Undercover?
Yes, you can fly a plane in the LEGO City Undercover and you can use it to complete missions or just fly around.
Does LEGO City Undercover Have Guns?
There are Grapple Guns in the LEGO City Undercover.
How Long Does It Take to Beat LEGO City Undercover?
It takes around 16hours to complete the main story, 25 hours to complete the story and side missions, and around 50 hours to complete the entire game.