Last Updated on July 25, 2022 by Lisa D. Marsh
Released in 2017, the LEGO Ninjago Movie is a computer-animated comedy film based on the LEGO Ninjago sets and the tie-in animated television series Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu.
The LEGO Ninjago Movie is the first theatrical film based on an original LEGO property, and the third installment in The LEGO Movie film series as well as its second spin-off.
However, unlike other LEGO Movies such as Star Wars, LEGO Batman, and others, the LEGO Ninjago Movie was not well received, getting mixed reviews from critics.
This article reviews the LEGO Ninjago Movie and answers 15 important questions about the movie.
Let’s get started.
What Is the LEGO Ninjago Movie About?
The LEGO Ninjago Movie is about a young teenage ninja Lloyd Garmadon, the son of an evil warlord Garmadon. Shunned by everyone in Ninjago city for being the son of an evil warlord, Lloyd seeks to defeat his father with the help of his fellow ninjas’ warriors comprising Kai, Cole, Jay, and Zane, Nya, and their master Wu (Garmadon’s brother).
How Many LEGO Ninjago Movies Are There?
There is only one LEGO Ninja movie, the original LEGO Ninjago movie; The LEGO Ninjago Movie.
However, there appears to be a LEGO Ninjago Movie 2: True Potential on the ideas wiki which is a fan-made movie and not made by the LEGO movie franchise.
Where Can I Watch the LEGO Ninjago Movie?
You can watch The LEGO Ninjago Movie on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Warner Bros, TheFlixer, Dailymotion, Gomovies, and IMDB among others.
Who Are the Characters in the LEGO Ninjago Movie?
The characters in the LEGO Ninjago movie include:
- Lloyd Garmadon (Main Character/Protagonist): Garmadon’s son and the leader of a secret Ninja group
- Sensei Wu: Lloyd and the other ninja’s mentor, Lloyd’s uncle, and Garmadon’s brother
- Nya / Samurai X: – Kai’s sister, one of Lloyd’s friends, Jay’s girlfriend, and the elemental Master of Water
- PIXAL / Samurai X: Zane’s girlfriend and one of Lloyd’s friends
- Ray: Kai and Nya’s long-lost father who has been working with Krux for years
- Maya: Kai and Nya’s long-lost mother who has been working with Krux for years
- Kai: Nya’s brother, one of Lloyd’s friends, Skylor’s boyfriend, and the elemental Master of Fire
- Jay: One of Lloyd’s friends, Ed and Edna’s son, Nya’s boyfriend, and the elemental Master of Lightning
- Cole: One of Lloyd’s friends who becomes a ghost and a human and the elemental Master of Earth
- Dareth: One of the Ninja’s fans who builds his own dojo
- Lord Garmadon: An evil warlord and Lloyd’s father
- The Overlord
- Acronix: An elemental master of time and a former member of Lord Vortech’s army
- Krux: An elemental master of time and a former member of Lord Vortech’s army
How Many Seasons of LEGO Ninjago Are There?
There are 15 regular seasons of LEGO Ninjago, along with several mini-movies, two pilot episodes, a four-episode miniseries, a special, and a theme park movie.
How Much Does the LEGO Ninjago Movie Cost?
The LEGO Ninjago Movie costs $3.99 — $14.99 for the Prime Video, Blu-ray starts at $2.48, DVD $2.82 and above, 3D costs $19.99, and 4K costs $34.93.
What Is the LEGO Ninjago Movie Rated?
The LEGO Ninjago Movie is PG-rated due to some mild action and rude humor.
Is The LEGO Ninjago Movie On Netflix?
Yes, the LEGO Ninjago movie is on Netflix.
Was the LEGO Ninjago Movie a Flop?
No, the LEGO Ninjago Movie was not a flop. It was just an odd and not quite successful entry, didn’t meet fans’ expectations, and didn’t have the longevity and the originality of other LEGO movies.
Why Did the LEGO Ninjago Movie Fail?
The LEGO Ninjago Movie was an odd and not quite successful entry into the LEGO Movie franchise and not well-received by fans.
The movie grossed only $123.1 million worldwide against its $70 million budget and didn’t achieve its purpose of raising awareness and popularity of the LEGO Movie franchise.
According to Screen Queens, one of the problems with The LEGO Ninjago Movie was that it didn’t have the originality of the LEGO Movie nor the longevity of LEGO Batman and didn’t provide emotional relief.
Some of the reasons why the LEGO Ninjago Movie failed include:
- The conflict between the serious, high-stakes plot and the comedic tone and the Movie couldn’t take itself seriously long enough to allow any of the scenes between the characters (Lloyd and the ninjas) and the protagonist (Garmadon) their emotional weight.
- The movie’s characters and tone are very different from the show, polarizing longtime fans
- It has too many characters crammed in 1 hour and 30 minutes and the other ninja characters outside of Lloyd, Garmadon, Wu, and Misako got little to no development
- Apart from Jackie Chan most of the voice actors were not that popular and are unknown to the LEGO fans
- The tone of the movie and the show are different with the movie being more of a parody of martial arts movies, power rangers, etc, rather than really feeling like Ninjago and the show taking a bit more seriously, assuming more of its young audience than most kids shows tend to do nowadays
- The show had 7 seasons around the same time the movie came out which can be really confusing to newcomers
Are They Making a LEGO Ninjago Movie 2?
It doesn’t seem like there will be a LEGO Ninjago Movie 2 considering how the movie badly underperformed and the LEGO movie rights have changed studios, which makes a sequel very unlikely.